Location: Knoxville, TN
Responsible for the preparation and disbursement of the semi-monthly payroll in a multi-state environment using ADP Pay Expert Internet Payroll Service and ADP time and attendance systems. Supports the COO, the Director of Finance, and the Director of Human Resources in administering base pay and bonus programs.
Essential Job Functions:
- Works closely with Human Resources and Accounting on all payroll related issues.
- Ensure semi-monthly payrolls are processed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Check non-exempt personnel time sheets utilizing an electronic time and attendance software product for compliance with policy, state and regulatory requirements.
- Reviews computed wages and corrects errors to ensure the accuracy of earnings. Ensure that all changes to payroll are processed correctly.
- Taxable fringe benefits administration i.e., group term life insurance, monthly parking, and HSA reporting.
- Maintain accurate payroll records and employee files, including manual check log and reconciliation of payroll account
- Works closely with Benefits Manager to ensure accurate benefit deductions and record keeping.
- Unemployment claims administration, responding to claims filed, EDD court appearance(s) in response to contest claims.
- Review and audit master file and pay data entries, YTD totals, and file amendments.
- Prepare various payroll and management reports, journal entries, workers compensation and reconcile quarterly payroll taxes.
- Will handle all garnishments, deductions, and vacation/sick accruals.
- Answers inquiries regarding employment verification. Reconciles payroll bank statements and reviews the accuracy of payroll deductions to payroll output documents.
- Respond to employee inquiries and requests regarding payroll matters.
- Process manual checks as requested by Human Resources or Accounting.
- Maintains client confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential.
- Cross-trained in benefits administration and back-up to Benefits Manager.
- Perform other duties and special projects as requested by management.
Education, Experience and Skills:
- AA or Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Accounting or equivalent work experience
- 5-8 years of experience in a law firm or professional services environment; experience in payroll operations
- FPC or CPP certification a plus
- Experience with ADP, ReportSmith and eTime Reporting
- Advanced computer skills; proficient MS Office, iManage and InterAction
- Typing and accuracy of 70-80 wpm
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to listen, communicate (written and verbal), excellent grammar, spelling and proofreading skills and follow-up effectively with all staffing levels and clients/customers
- Ability to work independently, self-starter, energetic